Sunday, June 16, 2013

May Self Portrait

Shocking that this is posted late again huh?  Have I had a single self portrait posted in the month that I actually took it?  Don't think so.  Blogging in the midst of chasing around an infant, a toddler, and a dog is proving to be quite difficult these days ;)

Anywho, I love, love, love the month of May.  I love it for many reasons.  The weather, strawberry picking, knowing that summer is right around the corner.  But mostly I love May because May is the month of ME!  Mother's Day, my birthday, and our anniversary are all in May!  Lucky for me...not so lucky for Mike ;)

In May we did lots of fun things including date nights, shopping sprees, trips to the beach, and an amazing (CHILD-FREE!) anniversary trip to Wilmington!  That trip was the first time that I have been away from Emma overnight (other than when I was working) since she was born.  Did I miss my girls?  Of course.  But it was glorious... and quiet....and relaxing.  Ahhhhh.

Mike planned out our anniversary trip and he booked us two nights in this amazing old mansion (built in 1906) that had been converted into a Bed and Breakfast.  The Graystone Inn.  It was beautiful, and right downtown within walking distance to the river walk and all of the restaurants and bars.  Perfect.

We woke up to delicious breakfasts and then headed to the beach all day where we could, gasp, read a book!  A book?  If it wasn't written by Dr. Seuss, then I haven't read it lately.  Fabulous and so relaxing.  We would then return to our B&B and get ready for dinner.  Leisurely.  Without children crying, and whining, and clinging to our legs.  Once we were ready, we headed downstairs for some wine in the great room.  And then we walked to our restaurants of choice.  Notice I said our choice.  We didn't have to worry about the time, or whether or not it was kid friendly, or whether there was going to be a long wait.  We had all the time in the world.  We almost hoped for a wait, because how relaxing would it be to sit at the bar and wait for a table, just the two of us?  The first night we hit up a sushi restaurant (not usually something kids are into), and the second night we went to an oyster place where we both got possibly the best meals we have ever had.  I'm not exaggerating.  We both got seafood meals, and they were outstanding.  Afterwards we headed to a fondue place for dessert on the first night and to a rooftop bar for drinks on the second night.  It was a perfect anniversary trip.  Truly perfect.  I want to say a special thank you to Mike's parents for coming down and watching the girls for us so that we could go!

I took a bunch of pictures on our trip, but here is the one that I have chosen for my self portrait:


In the words of the Zac Brown Band:  
I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand.
Life is good today.
Life is good today.


Ahh May.  The month of me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment