Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Happy New Year!

OK, so I may be a little bit late, but better late than never! 

My excuse for the fact that I have been slacking on my blog posts lately is that I have been trying to get my life organized in the new year.  I had two quite time consuming things on my "To-Do" list that I finally completed yesterday!

#1  Put all of my pics from the past year on my computer and onto CD's.  I had that completed until July, but Aug-Dec pics were all still on my camera!  You can imagine the sheer volume of pictures I've taken this past year with our first baby, so this took me awhile to do.  I am also not the most technologically savvy person in the world, and when the computer kept rearranging the order of my pics (Grrrrrr!!),  I would have to spend hours trying to figure out how to fix it.  Sooooo annoying, and that seems to happen to me all of the time, which is why I kept procrastinating for months and months.  But, number one on my "To-Do" list is officially complete!

#2 Create our family calendar for 2012.  Yup, a little late on this one too, since by the time the calendar arrives, January will be more than halfway over.  I really like it though, and am excited to get it!  I made the calendar on Shutterfly, and the theme is "The Hetricks: The Best Year in Review".  Basically each month is filled with pics that were taken in that same month last year.  It's fun because you get to see Addy grow up right before your eyes.  Of course, since I am so particular, this task took me a good 6 hours.  But, number two can also be checked off my "To-Do" list! 

I tried to link to Shutterfly to show you all my masterpiece (I use that word very, very loosely ;)), but I was having big time problems with it, so no go on that.  Maybe once it arrives I'll take some photos of it and post them.  Can you tell that I'm proud of my calendar creations?

Last year was the first year that I made a calendar, and the theme for that one was "The Hetricks: By the Numbers". I really liked this idea, and basically I took each month's numerical equivalent and related it to something personally meaningful in our lives. Like I said, I loved this one, but let me tell you, it took FOREVER to create! First I had to think of ideas for every month, which took days in and of itself. Then I had to go back through ten years worth of pictures to make it. Whew! If you thought the six hours that this year's calendar took was a long time, I shudder to think of what you'd think of the time it took to create last year's. I'd say at least 24 hours off and on.  Easily.  Maybe I'll take some pics of that calendar too and post them, so that my hard work can be remembered forever. ;)

Anyway, those were two of the projects that have been taking up my time over the past week or two.  I have one big project left that I hope to accomplish before Addy's first birthday: her baby book.  I've only done it through month 4 or so.  Yikes!  But I'm really glad that I have this blog, because looking back on it will help jog my memory. 

Now, as far as New Year's resolutions, I made one this year, and it is to get Addy and I more involved in some activities.  It's just her and I all day every day (unless Mike is off, of course), and sometimes days go by when we don't even leave the house.  She is getting so much more interactive and she loves playing with other kids, but she barely ever sees any.  So I am working that. 

Mike and I are going to check out the YMCA today, and they have a great child care nursery where she could play with other kids while Mike and I work out.  I also am looking into different play groups, "Mom and Me" swimming lessons, and "Music Together" music classes.  There are also story hours at the library and gym type classes at "The Little Gym" and "Gymboree". 

Now, I am not by any means saying that I plan on doing all of this, but these are some of the things that I've looked into, and my goal is to get involved in a few things this year.  I think it would be beneficial to both Addy and me.  She could have some fun things to do and play with other kids, and I could meet some other moms to hang out with.  Much needed for both of us!

I'll let you know which activities we settle on.  We're off to the Y!

No comments:

Post a Comment