Sunday, August 10, 2014

July Self Portrait

Again, I am waaaayyyy behind on my blogging.  A lot of that has to do with my new workout love, PiYo.  It's a combination of Pilates and Yoga, neither of which were anything that I ever had an interest in before, but I tried it and fell in love!

I have been training for some half marathons and needed a good cross training activity to do on my off days of running.  A lot of the women on my running forum use PiYo and claim that it has really improved their running.  So I thought I would give it a try.  And it is honestly something that I really enjoy doing when I wake up in the morning.

It's a workout video, so there is no prepping yourself to leave the house in the heat, rain, cold, snow, etc.  But there are nine different workouts on there, so I don't get bored.  And I love that it is a low impact form of cross training that uses your body to strengthen your body.  No weights needed.  My shins had been giving me some problems so I definitely needed something low impact.  And my flexibility is improving tremendously, I can tell.  I just love the combination of stretch and strengthen that PiYo provides.  It's unlike anything that I have ever done before.  And really, I do feel much stronger and I am in the best shape that I quite possibly have EVER been in!

Now that being said, these first two months of having Piyo, I am doing what is described as the "PiYo Challenge", which means doing one of the nine workouts six days a week.  And I run 5 days a week to train for my races.  And I have another cardio workout class on Thursdays.  I'm not saying any of this to make myself sound awesome, but instead to admit that it is getting a bit draining working out twice a day almost every single day.  And it is literally taking up ALL of my free time during the day.  Which brings me back to my lack of blogging for about a month and a half.  I used to blog in the morning before the household woke up, but now I'm doing PiYo during that time.  And while I love it, I also love my blog and want to keep up with it a whole lot better than I have been.

I'm going to finish the two month challenge, run my races, and then scale back a bit on all of it.  Like maybe workout once a day?  Three days of running and three days of PiYo sounds like a good off season workout regimen to me.

But for now, I am loving starting my mornings with PiYo :)


No comments:

Post a Comment