Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Emma's Birth Story

Well, my kiddos seem very comfy in the womb and not at all eager to come out.  I went past my due date and needed to be induced with Emma, just like I did with Addy.  When I went to my last doctor's appointment the doctor let me pick my induction date.  I picked the soonest one that I could, which was the following Monday, September 24th (my dad's birthday!).  Tina made it down to NC to be there with me in the delivery room and document Emma's birth.  I am so, so thankful that I was able to have both my husband and my sister there with me again.

The induction was set for 6PM, so I knew we were in for a long night.  We got there at 6 and the room wasn't ready, so I got all checked in and we waited until about 6:30, when they took me back to my room.  Of course, being a nurse myself, I know that change of shift is at 7:00, so we sat there for a long time before anyone came in to start anything. 

At 7:45 I got my cervix checked and was 3cm dilated, 50% effaced, and at -2 station.  The Dr. Fetko said, "I'm gonna be mean for a minute", and then all of the sudden there was some serious discomfort and she said, "There.  Now you are 4cm dilated."  OK, thanks for that. 

At 8PM the nurse, Becky, started my IV and drew my labs.

8:30PM- Pitocin was started at 2mu/min.  Throughout my labor they never needed to increase it past 2mu/min.  With Addy I think I got all the way up to 24mu/min!  Addy was very stubborn and wanted no parts of the outside world ;)

So we hung out for a bit and the doctor came back at 9:10 and broke my water.  Definitely feeling the contractions after that.  The Pitocin/broken water combo brought those contractions on strong.  I held out for a little while, but the pain got intense fast, so I requested my epidural at 10:30PM.  It was night shift, labor and delivery was full, and there was only one anesthesiologist, so I didn't actually get my epidural until midnight!  Things were not fun for that hour and a half.  I had mostly back labor this time with Emma and it was my lower back that was in excruciating pain with every contraction.  Mike was my designated masseuse, and he religiously rubbed my back for 30 seconds every 2-3 minutes for what seemed like an eternity (to both of us I'm sure!).  Mike was so wonderful and supportive while I was in all of that pain.  He is such a calming presence, and having him there with me made me feel so much more relaxed and confident.

Once my epidural was finally in and the anesthesiologist was starting the meds, I hadn't been checked since 7:45, so he had no idea how much I had progressed since then.  Because of this, he gave me a "dense block" with 0.25% Bupivicaine.  Well, dense it was!!  I literally could not feel ANYTHING below my belly.  To the point where, the nurse came in around 2AM to put my catheter in and she had a hard time getting it in because Emma's head was "right there", and it was almost time to start pushing..... and I had no idea!  I couldn't feel that her head was there at all.  Not even a little bit.  Crazy, crazy feeling.

When the nurse left the room I started freaking out to Mike that I was going to need a C-Section because there was no way I was going to be able to push her out if I couldn't even tell that head was engaged.  I thought, "How am I going to be able to push if I can't feel anything at all???"  I voiced my concerns to both the doctor and the nurse and they assured me that I could do it anyway, even if it didn't feel like I was doing anything.  And they were right!

At 3:45AM I started pushing and at 3:55AM Emma was born!

It was the craziest, most amazing thing that I have ever experienced...ever!  I pushed a few times and they were very effective pushes somehow.  But before her head was even out, the doctor told me to stop pushing and the rest of her head just slid out on its own and the doctor helped maneuver her shoulders out, and there she was!  They had a mirror for me so that I could watch, and it was truly mind blowingly amazing to me.  (Sorry if this is a little graphic for you.  I just want to remember everything, and if I don't write it down, someday I will forget.)

So out Emma came, and she was so healthy and strong and beautiful!  Her Apgar scores were 9 and 9!  I said throughout this pregnancy that maybe Emma would look like me since Addy looks so much like Mike.  As I was delivering her and that head full of dark hair was making its appearance, Mike said to me, "I think you are getting your wish.  Look at that hair!"

They immediately gave Emma to me for some skin to skin contact.  I was so, so happy to be able to do that, because I wasn't able to with Addy since I lost so much blood and was completely out of it.  I wasn't even strong enough to hold Addy for more than a minute after she was born.  And her delivery is such a blur to me.  This time I still lost a fair amount of blood (about 500ml) and needed cytotec and methergine again (along with some Zofran for nausea), but I felt a million times better.  I had a clear head and was able to hold my baby and nurse her immediately, which I was so hoping that I would be able to do.  It was all so natural and peaceful.  I remember thinking, "This is what it's supposed to be like."

So after I held her skin to skin for a few minutes Mike cut the cord and then I nursed her.  She was such a champ from the beginning.  She nursed for a whole hour and latched on with no problem.  Probably didn't hurt that I was more comfortable this time since I have a year's worth of experience nursing Addy.  Emma and I were so comfy and so happy for that hour.  I never want to forget it.

Then it was the waiting game.  We waited.  And waited.... and waited for them to come back to bathe and weigh Emma.  It was about 6AM before they finally did, and that was with me calling out on the call bell and asking them to.  Poor Tina hung around to get pictures of the bath and weight. She was there with us and awake all night too, and we just wanted them to come in and bathe and measure her already so that Tina could go home and sleep.  Because she had to watch Addy all day after preschool was over.  Whew!  I'm lucky to have such a devoted sister!  

After what seemed like an eternity, the nursery nurse came in to bathe and measure Emma.  And guess what?  Emma weighed the exact same amount as Addy, down to the ounce!!  Both of my girls were born at 8lbs, 10oz!!  Emma was 21 inches long and her head circumference was 35.5cm.  Margie, the nursery nurse gave Emma her bath while Tina snapped some pics.  She put that head full of dark hair in a mohawk and it was the cutest thing :)

Once all of that was done, Tina packed up and went back to our house to catch a few hours of sleep and they moved me to my Mother/Baby Room.  We stayed there all day Tuesday and Tuesday night, and then were able to come home Wednesday around noon.  And we were chomping at the bit to come home.  Such a different experience from last time.  Last time I wanted to stay.  I was nervous and felt like I needed their help.  I was still feeling sick and weak.  This time I felt a million times better and knew that we would do just fine on our own at home.

So here, she is.  The newest addition to the Hetrick clan....  Emma Jane!

We love you so, so much little lady, and we can't wait for the adventure to begin!

1 comment:

  1. SO GLAD I could be there again:) Such an amazing experience!